Monday, February 27, 2012

We're Getting Physical, Physical

One thing that had always been very true of me, is that I am not a morning person. I might be the solitary reason for the gray in my father's beard, from having to wake me up every morning when I was in high school. "Feet on the floor!" he would yell, after the first few attempts of getting me up, and then wait for me to do it. So I would sit up, put my feet on the floor, and then the second he left the room, lay back down. 
I'm such a jerk.

However lately, this has changed.

Mr. Light and I are teachers by trade, and those of you who teach know how tiring it can be. We relish in our after work R&R, and would usually skip workouts, because we just didn't have the energy, drive, or desire. When I had a lot more weight to lose, that was no problem. In honesty, there were MONTHS where I didn't hardly lift a finger...calorie counting on it's own was enough for me to lose at a good pace. But now that I'm closer to my goal weight, it's getting much harder, and I'm not willing to drop down to 1200 calories. I'm just not. So what does that mean? It means I need to be upping the workouts. But with said R&R, I wouldn't, and I would find myself feeling guilty. I knew that if I didn't start, I was going to be stuck. I have heard so often about how much people love working out in the morning, so I decided to give it a go. I threw myself into it, and you know what?

I feel so much more awesome than I look!

They're right.

I've (we've) been at it for about a month now, and I knew by the first day that this was the plan for me. Yes, sometimes it's hard to get up, but working out in the morning not only gives me maximum energy for my workouts, but I get to spend the rest of the day knowing I don't need to do it later.

I highly recommend trying this, if you're looking for times to fit in your exercise. And you don't need a gym! In fact, if we had a gym membership, I probably wouldn't go. Working out at home means I get up, change, and start. No driving, no anticipating...just doing! I like to use Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown, and other circuit training exercises. For what I do, I only need a yoga mat, a DVD, and/or my trusty workout trainer app!


So if you think you're not the type of person who can wake up early for workouts, you might be wrong. Don't knock it 'til you try it;)

No comments:

Post a Comment